Saturday 24 November 2012

A 34-year-old woman, a recent immigrant from Eastern Europe, is seen with complaints of vague chest discomfort after an upper respiratory tract infection.

A 34-year-old woman, a recent immigrant from Eastern Europe, is seen with complaints of vague chest discomfort after an upper respiratory tract infection. She is not a smoker and gives a history of BCG vaccination when she was an infant. Physical examination is normal. PPD is 10-mm induration and induced sputum for acid-fast bacilli is negative. CXR is shown below:





















What is the most likely diagnosis?
a. Granuloma
b. Scar carcinoma
c. Coccidioidomycosis
d. Hamartoma

What is the next step in the management of this patient?
a. MRI of the chest
b. Fiberoptic bronchoscopy
c. Comparison of previous chest radiograph, if available, and repeat chest radiograph in 3 mo
d. Treatment with four-drug anti-TB chemotherapy

This chest x-ray shows a normal heart size. No pleural or mediastinal disease is noted. Cardiophrenic and costophrenic angles are clear. A dense, rounded solitary pulmonary nodule is noted in the right lung.

The answers are 2-a, 3-c. With a history of a positive PPD in a young immigrant and the presence of a calcified peripheral SPN, the likely diagnosis is tuberculous granuloma. Comparison with a previous x-ray to confirm stability of the lesion would prevent the need for further diagnostic tests. An MRI of the chest would not add definitive information, and bronchoscopy for a peripherally located calcified lesion would be of low yield. Since this lesion probably represents latent, old, healed granulomatous focus, treatment with four antituberculosis drugs is not warranted unless evidence of active disease is seen.

1 comment:

  1. I have been on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and I never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he found out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man. 

    ReplyDelete